2017 Annual Conference
The 2017 ISHA Conference will be held October 18-20, 2017 at the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame in Knoxville, Tenn.
The Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame, the only facility of its kind dedicated to all levels of women’s basketball and host of the 2017 International Sports Heritage Association Annual Conference (Oct. 17-20), is located in downtown Knoxville, Tennessee. Knoxville is often described as a hidden gem sitting at the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. First-time visitors are typically amazed by all this city has to offer. The fact that some of its most appealing attractions are within walking distance of a very vibrant downtown is a plus. Very few places offer the opportunity to experience live music, culture, outdoor adventure, eclectic shopping and highly acclaimed cuisine in one unique location.
The Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame opened in June 1999 and its mission is to “honor the past, celebrate the present, and promote the future” of women’s basketball. With the 2017 Induction, the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame will celebrate its 19th Anniversary and add six new members to this prestigious Hall, honoring 157 inductees. The outside of the striking 32,000 square foot Hall of Fame is encompassed by the world’s largest basketball which weighs 10 tons and sits on top of a glass staircase that resembles a basketball net. Inside the hall is filled with multiple interactive displays, numerous basketball artifacts, photographs, scrapbooks, medals, trophies, and old uniforms that bring the history of women’s basketball to life. There is something for everyone to love about the Hall of Fame.
With the conference committee working and planning a terrific program, start planning your trip to the 2017 ISHA conference. The conference brochure and registration will be available around June 1, 2017. The host hotel for the conference is the downtown Knoxville Marriott, adjacent to the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame. Four major airlines serve Knoxville’s airport (McGhee Tyson TYS) and is located only 15 minutes from the Hall. So please start making plans to join us for the 2017 ISHA Annual Conference in East Tennessee, where you will enjoy some southern hospitality, a slower pace, some smooth spirits and a relaxed way of life. Come as a stranger and leave as a friend.
There will be a silent auction held during the conference with all proceeds from the auction benefitting the Founders Fund.
To apply for a conference grant to assist you with attending the 2017 ISHA Conference, click here.
Click the link below to access sponsorship options for the 2017 ISHA Conference.
We would also like to thank our 2016 sponsors and encourage ISHA members to visit their websites by clicking the links below:
Hosting an ISHA Conference
Submitting a Proposal
Potential hosts should send two (2) copies of their proposal and any attachments to the ISHA office at P.O. Box 2384, Florence, OR 97439, as well as sending any text documents via email to email@example.com.
Proposals should include the following information:
- The year of the ISHA Annual Conference to be hosted.
- Applicant institution name, address, contact person, phone, fax, and e-mail.
- Contact person’s signature and date, certifying the accuracy of the information.
- Available and suggested conference dates.
- Access to the city (by airlines, rail, auto, etc.) to the hotel accommodations and meeting sites (by local taxi, bus, host shuttle, auto, etc.).
- Accommodations arrangements with a local hotel, including description of the property and rooms, projected room rate, amenities and features of the hotel, hospitality suite accommodations, etc.
- Meeting facilities including registration area, rooms for educational sessions and board/committee meetings, space for annual banquet, trade show space, Internet access, etc.
- Social and tour opportunities including area attractions and sites suitable for a conference tour.
- Available conference support including applicant institution’s staff and volunteer capabilities, community support and possible support of other ISHA members in the area.
- History of conference hosting – experience in hosting ISHA or other conferences.
Potential applicants are encouraged to contact the ISHA office for assistance in creating their proposals.
Karen Bednarski, Executive Director
International Sports Heritage Association
P.O. Box 2384, Florence, OR 97439
Tel: (541) 991-7315
Fax: (541) 997-3871
ISHA will be responsible for:
- Assisting in the preparation of the event budget for presentation to the board.
- Assisting in the creating, printing, and mailing of a Conference Brochure to ISHA members and other potential participants.
- Receiving and processing all registration forms and trade show booth reservations.
- Receiving any other conference income, such as sponsorships.
- Creating name tags for all registrants.
- Planning the elements of the registration packets and producing some of the original documents for the packets (to be copied and assembled by the host).
- Providing print ready materials for the Conference Handbook. (The host will arrange to print and produce the Handbook locally.)
- Producing all handouts for the Annual General Meeting (the business meeting), such as minutes, budget, etc. (The host will arrange to have these copied locally.).
- Creating and processing conference evaluation forms.
- Paying all authorized invoices and bills associated with the conference.
- Writing and mailing conference-related thank you letters as determined by Conference Committee.
Changes in Policies and Procedure
From time to time, the ISHA Board of Directors or membership may make changes in the policies and procedures described herein. It is essential that both conference hosts and conference host applicants maintain close contact with ISHA staff and the Conference Committee chair to stay informed of these changes. Such changes may affect both those conferences for which the site has been chosen as well as those for which the site is yet to be decided.