Job Opportunity: Curator – Exhibitions Director
With energy, creative flair and innovative ideas, this “hands on” leader directs every aspect of preparing and maintaining exhibits for public viewing. Must have passion for and deep knowledge of baseball, past and present. Must be able to execute a variety of exhibition and curatorial responsibilities, from handling a power tool one moment and a rare artifact the next, to writing engaging and succinct labels, to dealing with questions from the public. Areas of responsibility include the acquisition and care of artifacts, permanent exhibits, and the creation and implementation of temporary exhibits to help attract museum guests and boost revenue. Oversees archives, including collection cataloging, care and maintenance. Develops and oversees photo reprint program. Responsible for budgets related to exhibitions and collection management.
- Direct activities involved with all aspects of the museum’s exhibits, including acquisitions, preservation, conservation, and research for both temporary and permanent exhibits.
- Develop topics and themes for exhibits.
- Conceptualize, design, and execute exhibits including selecting objects, integrating objects, display and interpretive information and prepare publications to accompany exhibit.
- Obtain, develop and organize new collections and exhibits to expand and enhance the organization’s ability to attract visitors and field trips.
- Negotiate with other institutions to acquire exhibits or collections on loan.
- Manage the installation of temporary and traveling exhibits.
- Develop exhibitions drawn from LSMF’s collections.
- Responsible for care and management of collections.
- Arrange for LSM exhibits and artifacts to travel to other institutions.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit potential artifact donors and lenders (ie – current MLB players and private collectors).
- Conduct collections research for exhibitions, publications, programming and in response to public and professional inquiries.
- Write text panels, object labels.
- Answer historic and collections-based questions from the public.
- Develop and present original gallery talks to classes, visiting groups.
- Fulfill requests for photo reprints and other information from archives.
- Perform other job-related duties and responsibilities as may be assigned.
- BA required, (MA preferred), plus 7 years related experience.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills.
- Passion for and deep knowledge of baseball, past and present
- Strong research skills and experience.
- Working knowledge of Past Perfect archiving software.
Competencies Required For This Position:
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Sportsmanship – Achieves greatness by living the values of team sports which includes self-confidence, hard work, dedication and treating others with respect.
Business Expertise – Knows their business; has technical expertise and skill. Understands this industry; its standards, practices and processes. Demonstrates mastery of required job-related knowledge and mastery in performing essential job requirements. Understands the relationship of their business unit to Company.
Creativity/Innovation – Generates and/or recognizes imaginative or creative solutions. Is open minded. Exhibits constructive, non-traditional thinking. Demonstrates initiative, and the ability to find information or solutions needed for assignments or projects. Comes up with a lot of new and unique ideas.
Interpersonal Communication – Relates well to people both verbally and in written form. Expresses self well one-on-one or in groups. Builds rapport up, down, sideways, inside and/or outside organization. Ably resolves conflicts; confronts or asserts with strength, tact and diplomacy. Provides clear directions and information people need to know. Is timely in communication. Listens well.
Organizing Skills – Puts resources or processes into logical, comprehensible and aesthetically pleasing order. Can plan events, tasks or processes in well-ordered manner.Attends to all details. Seeks and finds all resources needed to successfully implement a task, event or plan, bringing all together into an organized and well-executed endeavor.
Professionalism – Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of status. Reacts well under pressure. Accepts responsibility for own actions and follows through on commitments. Exhibits passion and excitement for their work. Is positive and vigorous in actions. Maintain optimism through ups and downs; bounces back undaunted.
Research Skills – Finds needed data through known sources; has good “contacts” or source knowledge. Uses resourcefulness to tap as-yet-unknown sources. Identifies, sorts and categorizes source materials to deliver most pertinent and needed information.
Apply online at www.slugger.com/careers